INSURE THE GOOD LIFE’s ballot initiative will bring $1.1 billion tax dollars back to Nebraska, sustain 10,000 jobs, and give Nebraskans a voice in expanding Medicaid.
No one should be forced to decide whether they can afford life-saving care for themselves or their families – like cancer treatment or heart medication. But too many hardworking moms struggling to put food on the table and near-retirees who got laid off because of their age are forced to make those decisions every day.
Amanda is a Nebraskan whose hands know how to do hard work. After Hurricane Katrina struck Mississippi, Amanda moved there to work and help with the recovery. After returning to Nebraska a couple years ago, she was working 60 hours a week as a restaurant manager when she developed an auto-immune disorder. Without health insurance she couldn’t afford tests to find out what was wrong. Her health problems intensified until she could only work a few hours each week. She even looked into moving away from Nebraska just so she could get health coverage. Insuring the Good Life means Nebraskans like Amanda could afford to test, diagnose, and treat their conditions, then get the care they need to return to work full-time. Nebraska needs to keep all of the energetic, hard-working people like Amanda that we can.
Making Medicaid available to people earning less than $17,000 a year will bring health coverage to over 90,000 struggling Nebraskans. Over two-thirds are Nebraskans with jobs who work hard but whose jobs don’t come with health coverage. They should have the protection of affordable health care.
Nebraska voters deserve the right to choose a healthier future for their families, friends, and neighbors. We shouldn’t have to wait while politicians in Washington and Lincoln play politics with our health care.
Nebraska organizations endorsing Insure The Good Life
- AARP Nebraska
- ACLU of Nebraska
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- American Heart Association
- Brain Injury Alliance of Nebraska
- Center for Rural Affairs
- Central Nebraska Peace Workers
- Children and Family Coalition of Nebraska
- Community Action of Nebraska, Inc.
- Friends of Public Health
- Health Center Association of Nebraska
- Heartland Workers Center
- League of Women Voters of Greater Omaha
- League of Women Voters of Nebraska
- Multicultural Coalition of Grand Island
- National Council of Jewish Women – Nebraska
- Nebraska AFL-CIO
- Nebraska AIDS Project
- Nebraska Appleseed
- Nebraska Association of Behavioral Health Organizations
- Nebraska Association of Local Health Directors
- National Association of Social Workers
- Nebraska Hospital Association
- Omaha Together One Community
- Susan G. Komen Great Plains
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Voices for Children in Nebraska